Lung cancer is the UK's biggest killer cancer killer, claiming almost 35.000 lives a year, here in Spain 28.000 new cases are diagnosed every year, and 1 person dies every 20 minutes of this cancer, 80% of those affected are smokers.
What are the symptoms?
The early warning signs include:
- A new cough that is persistent or worsens or changes to an existing chronic cough.
- Bleeding when coughing.
- Pain in the chest, back or shoulders that gets worse when coughing or laughing.
- Shortness of breath during normal daily activities.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Loss of appetite.
- Tiredness, weakness.
- Lung infections that won't go away.
- Hoarseness, wheezing.
- Difficulty swallowing, or pain when swallowing.
- Club fingers (change in shape of fingers).
- Swelling in pain or neck.
Remember that these symptoms are more than likely not caused by cancer, but it is always important to get them checked by a doctor, as with any cancer, early detection can give the patient a better chance of recovery.
Who are most at risk?
- People over the age of 45, and even more so those over the age of 65.
- Those with a family history of lung cancer.
- Smokers and those exposed to secondhand smoke.
- People who have been exposed to asbestos.
- People who have been exposed to Radon.
For more information: